Friday, April 22, 2011

I like Bi-Winning.

In a recent article by Amy Yashinsky* of the STOMP Newsletter, by a group of mental health advocates in Michigan, whom I respect, she wrote:

I want to cringe every time I hear someone speak incorrectly about bipolar disorder (or any mental health challenge, for that matter!), and as such, the last month of Charlie Sheen’arama has been one big cringe-fest!

Whenever someone asks me about him, my reply has been ‘he’s making it difficult for me to do my job! When comics are comparing him to Gadhafi, how am I supposed to teach people that those dealing with a mental health challenge are not dangerous or unstable?!’”

I was with Amy when she spoke about the inappropriateness of armchair analysis, but here I must differ. It is a “cringe-fest,” but I am right there with Charlie when he says “I’m bi-winning!”  He is not making your job harder, mental illness, and hundreds of years of ignorance, discrimination, fear, prejudice and mistreatment make it difficult for people with mental illness to recover and others to understand and welcome into the greater community.

Some people who experience who experience mental illnesses are dangerous, some are unstable, most are not. The same can be said for the general population. Education about discrimination and fear is very difficult. Charlie Sheen’s story provides an opportunity to talk about things which are hard to bring up in day-to-day conversation with the general population. Opportunity is a good thing.

I do not know, nor have I ever met Mr. Sheen, his friends, or family. MY impression has always been that he is an intelligent and funny guy who likes to live his life on his own terms. Am I interested in what the media or parasitic friends and “professionals” have to say about his motivation or behavior? No.

I am more disgusted by the talking heads and mental health experts who have come forward to explain his behavior than I could ever be by something that Mr. Sheen has said in public. It is inappropriate to speculate or worse, “diagnose” someone from a taped interview or public behavior. These mental health experts crawling from the woodwork to pontificate on what Mr. Sheen needs are shameful leeches.

He true friends may express concerns if his behavior becomes dangerous to himself or others. Mr. Sheen determines what is a priority for his own wellness. He has been open for many years about his sexual and social preferences. He is a wealthy may who engages in consensual activities. This is none of my business, or anyone else’s.

There have been some individuals who expressed sincere concerns about whether he is being exploited in a vulnerable period of his life. It is possible to be an ass and still be vulnerable. Writer, actor, comedian, Rickie Gervais has expressed these concerns, in a caring way.

If Mr. Sheen is experiencing a mental health crisis, I hope that he seeks help from someone he can trust. The general public cannot determine if he is, or is not, simple because he acts in an outrageous way. Many performers and no-performers act in outrageous ways for many reasons that have nothing to do with mental illness. He does not have to disclose his illness, if he has one, to the public, regardless of what it may be, ever, for any reason. Being an actor, or an activist, or a famous person does not justify making you a target.

Recovery is a non-linear process. Everyone’s process is different. Respect Mr. Sheen’s right to express himself as he wishes, whether you like what he has to say, or not.

As for me, I like the way “Bi-winning” sounds.

Posted at *http://www.cnsantistigmaprogram.org/stomp_newsletter_2011-04-15/newsletter.html#7 Reposted at http://keystothecloset.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment