Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sen. Scott Brown Reveals Sexual Abuse

Scott Brown, the Republican who catapulted into the national spotlight last year when he won the late Massachusetts U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy's seat in the traditionally Democratic state, is causing shockwaves again.

In a memoir to be published Monday, he reveals the "physical, psychological and sexual abuse" he endured as a child, according to an upcoming interview on 60 Minutes.

His sexual abuser, he tells the newsmagazine show's Leslie Stahl, was his summer camp counselor on Cape Cod. Brown – now 51, married, with two daughters – was 10 at the time.

"He said, 'If you tell anybody, I'll kill you," says Brown, adding, "My mom will read about this for the first time" in his book, titled Against All Odds. Brown also reveals that two relatives – reported to be his stepfathers – beat him regularly when he was a child.

Having to protect his mother, Brown told ABC's Barbara Walters, "I do remember getting up in the middle of the night and, you know, having to be the man of the family and come and rescue her and getting knocked around pretty good."

In the 60 Minutes interview, which airs Sunday, Brown also says, according to advance quotes released by CBS, "That's what happens when you're a victim. You're embarrassed. You're hurt."

In terms of the sexual attack, Brown says, "Fortunately, nothing was ever fully consummated, so to speak, but it was certainly, back then, very traumatic."

Brown, a successful attorney before he entered politics, also recounts how he once considered purchasing a house where he lived with one of his stepfathers simply so he could "burn it down" as an act of catharsis.

"I actually called the Realtor and went in and took the tour and relived kind of where everything was … to make sure I wasn't … dreaming," he tells Stahl. "As I left, I said, 'Man, I wish I had the money. I'd just buy this thing and burn it down.' "

The book also reportedly recounts, among other topics, how Brown grew up hungry, how he shoplifted as a youngster and how he got to pose nude for Cosmopolitan magazine in 1982.

Brown, who faces re-election next year to a full six-year term, also said, according to an interview clip shown on Thursday's Today show: "In retrospect, I wouldn't change a thing, because it made me who I am today."

No comments:

Post a Comment